- Radar type: E-scan Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) Doppler Ground Surveillance Radar (GSR)
- Frequency band: Ku band
- Scan type: fully electronic scanning in azimuth (‘e-scan’)
- Transmitter power (nominal): 1 Watt (standard-power transmitter version) or 4 Watt (high-power transmitter version)
- Multi-radar operation: supported and unlimited
- Embedded software and firmware: field-upgradeable via network connection
Target Detection Performance
- Maximum detection ranges:
- Crawling person (RCS 0.1 m2): 4.5 km (2.8 mi.)*
- Walking person (RCS 1 m2): 10.3 km (6.4 mi.)*
- Moving vehicle (RCS 30 m2): 16.0 km (9.9 mi.)*
- Large moving vehicle (RCS 100 m2): 27.3 km (17.0 mi.)*
- Large moving vessel (RCS 1,000 m2): 32.0 km (19.9 mi.)*
- Maximum targets per scan: 700
- False Alarm Rate (FAR): 1 false-alarm per day
- Minimum detectable target radial speed: 0.37 km/h (0.23 mph)
* Radar fitted with M10S long-range antenna horns and high-power transmitter
- Instrumented maximum range: 5, 8, 16 or 32 km (3.1, 5.0, 9.9 or 19.9 mi.)
- Instrumented minimum range: less than 10 m (33 ft.)
- Azimuth scan angle: 90° (B402), 180° (B422), 270° (B432) or 360° (B442) horizontal e-scan
- Elevation beam: 10° or 20° vertical beamwidth
- Mean scan rate: from 3.3°/s to 90°/s
Target Output & Identification
- Data format: QZ (custom, open-standard data format) or XML over TCP/IP
- Audio modes: Continuous, Grab or Fence
- Range window size (Point or Wide): 20 m or 160 m (66 ft. or 525 ft.)
Connectivity & Software
- Main I/O interfaces (for radar control & target data): 10/100 Ethernet network interface OR optional IEEE 802.11b Wireless LAN)
- Auxiliary I/O interfaces: RS-232 and RS-422 control lines, opto-isolated control/status inputs and isolated switched contact outputs
- Software (SDK): API software library (Windows) and generic Interface Control Document (ICD) are both available to System Integrators
- Battery/regulated-PSU input range: from 12 V to 28 V (DC)
- Vehicle supply input range:from 12 V to 33 V (DC)
- Power consumption (from 12 V regulated-PSU)*: 38.4 W (average)
- Endurance*: 10 to 12 hours continuous operation from dual 2590-type batteries
* Standard-power transmitter version only
Physical, Environmental & Reliability
- External dimensions of radar unit(s)(W x H x D)*: 666 mm x 503 mm x 128 mm (26.2 in. x 19.8 in. x 5.0 in.)
- Weight of main radar unit*: approximately 25 kg (55 lb.)
- Weight of auxiliary radar unit(s)*: approximately 21 kg (46 lb.)
- Operating temperature: from -30° C to +60° C (from -22° F to +140° F)Note: extended operating temperature version available
- IP rating: IP65 (dust tight and protected against water jets)
- MIL-HDBK-217-F: 10,000
- In-service reliability (estimated): in excess of five years
* Excluding antenna horns, mountings and solar shield
Errors and omissions excepted.
Plextek reserves the right to modify specifications without notice.
Blighter radars are protected by a number of international patents.
The Blighter name is an international registered trademark.
Also available models
- R5D (Dual Mode, Perimeter Surveillance Radar)
- R3 (High Resolution Perimeter Intrusion Detection
- Ranger R3D (Switchable, FMCW &Pulse Doppler Mid-Range Ground Surveillance Radar)
- Ranger R2 (High Resolution Wide Area Surveillance)
- Ranger R1Short-Range Ground Surveillance Radar)
Catch it Early with E-Series
The Fastest Way to Capture, Analyze, and
Share Thermal Images.
- Thermal resolutions from 160 x 120 up to 320 x 240
- Temperature range choices: 120°C (bx), 250°C, or 650°C
- Sensitivity down to 0.045°C on select E-Series bx models
- Fast image sharing from E40/50/60 with Wi-Fi mobile apps
- Dual charger and spare battery option for all-day operation
- 10-year detector warranty, 5 on battery, 2 on parts & labor
Understanding the nature of a threat is critical to intercepting and defeating it. FLIR's ground surveillance radars let you know where detect and track multiple threat simultaneously at ranges beyond the fence line so security personnel can monitor and control their security zone by intercepting threats before they can complete their mission.
With next-generation “track while scan” capabilities in a ruggedized, mil-spec design, FLIR ground surveillance radars are exceptionally fast and have class leading target detection and acquisition performance
Man Portable Electronic Scanning, Long-Range Ground surveillance radar
The Ranger® R6SS is a man portable, ground-surveillance radar specifically designed to detect and track personnel and vehicles within a 10 kilometer range.
With its small size and lightweight, the Ranger R6SS has class leading target detection and acquisition performance in a man portable form factor.
- Force Protection
- Border Security
- Vehicle Dismount
- Artillery and Mortar Fire Correction
- UAS Detection
- High Performance Ground Surveillance System
- Man Portable
- Built-in North Finding Capability
- Automatic Target Tracker
- Automatic Target Classification
- Low False Alarm Rate
- MIL - STD - 810G Qualified
- Built in GPS
Solid state, electronic scanning, long range ground surveillance radar
The Ranger® R20SS is a ground-surveillance radar specifically designed to detect and track personnel and vehicles within a 20 kilometer range.
With its electronic scanning capability and fast 2 Hz refresh rate, the Ranger R20SS has class leading target detection and acquisition performance.
The Ranger R20SS utilizes advanced tracking algorithms which enable fast detection and track initiation resulting in highly accurate target location with a low false alarm rate.
The system operates in the X-band for all weather operation and minimal effects from adverse weather and precipitation.
Fastest Electronic Scan Rate Available
The Ranger R20SS provides fast 90-degree, fixed sector coverage. Incorporating the next generation “track while scan” capabilities the entire 90-degree coverage area is covered twice per second.
When deployed on an optional pan/tilt device, the Ranger R20SS can provide 360-degree coverage.
Its low weight and easy implementation make it an ideal candidate for military vehicle applications and deployable in a man portable configuration.
As with the entire line of Ranger ground surveillance radars, the Ranger R20-SS provides high reliable system performance and 24/7 persistent surveillance, both within and beyond the fence.
Wide Area Surveillance for Desert Environments
The Ranger® R5 perimeter surveillance radar provides accurate, high resolution detection of vehicles and personnel.
This ground-based radar is designed to meet the rigors of a desert environment, providing 24/7 security to ranges of up to 5000m.
The Ranger R5 perimeter surveillance radar scans a full 360 degrees every second effectively monitoring up to 78 square kilometers (30 square miles).
Multiple units can be installed with overlapping coverage areas to protect larger areas such as borders.
As part of the FLIR integrated product suite, multiple units may be networked with any or all of the full range of FLIR radars and imagers to conform to terrain profiles and secure areas inside and outside a perimeter.
Using the radars’ advantage in detecting intruders, pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) cameras can focus on their strength – identifying and assessing threats – for a more efficient and cost effective solution.
B400 Series Radar
- New Vortex fast-scan technology
- Unsurpassed ground clutter suppression with low false alarm rate
- Long range radar suited to fixed, mobile and portable applications
- Modular scanning from 90° to 360°
- Detects moving vehicles and persons
- Fully electronic scanning (E-Scan) for ultra-high reliability
- Excellent coverage across all types of terrain
Blighter surveillance products address a broad range of security requirements in the defence, homeland security and civil/commercial markets.
Blighter radars are part of a range of advanced Plextek technologies that provide class-leading protection against both conventional and asymmetric/terrorist threats.
Blighter B400 series radars scan and detect moving vehicles and persons (including 'crawlers') over a wide area and provide exceptional range performance out to 32 km.
Detected targets are reported via wired or wireless TCP/IP network connections, allowing target recognition and identification through the automatic slew-to-cue of optional cameras or thermal imagers.
Accurate positional information is reported, including target lat/long co-ordinates, range and bearing.
The data bandwidth required for target output and radar control is very low.
The B400 series is Plextek's latest generation of e-scan ground surveillance radars (GSR).
E-scan radars have no moving parts to wear-out, maintain or replace and offer dramatic improvements in reliability.
Blighter radars are all-in-one fully integrated units comprising antennas, signal processing, plot extractor, GPS and compass.
Angular coverage is provided in modular units of 90°.
Blighter radars are proven to withstand harsh environmental conditions and provide many years of maintenance free operation.
The radar operates in all weather conditions and includes a built-in precipitation filter that suppresses false detections from rain or snow.
Day/night 24-hour operation is fully supported.
Low-power FMCW Doppler Technology
Blighter radars incorporate a unique combination of FMCW and Doppler processing technology, ensuring unsurpassed ground clutter cancellation with the ability to detect incredibly slow movement.
Radio transmission power is very low, making the radar safe for human operation and difficult to intercept (i.e. electronically covert).
Power consumption is low, allowing operation from battery, vehicle or mains.
Wide Elevation Beam
In order to maximize long-range detection performance, radars are typically mounted high on a tower or on top of a hill.
However, when mounted in this way, the narrow vertical elevation beam of traditional radars results in the problem of dead ground close to the radar.
Blighter radars benefit from having a very wide vertical elevation beam, allowing them to simultaneously detect targets in the distance as well as close-up.
In complex mountainous regions, the Blighter radars wide elevation beam also ensures that hill tops and valleys can be scanned simultaneously, without the need to physically tilt the radar.
Over flat land and calm water, the wide beam also provides rapid detection of low flying manned and unmanned aircraft including planes, helicopters, UAVs, microlights and hang gliders.